Dahal correct about budget allocation for urban development ministry
Sujit Mainali / July 28, 2016
During discussions in parliament last week on a no-confidence motion filed against Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli, the chairman of the CPN (Maoist Center) and former prime minister, Pushpa Kamal Dahal, made the following comments:
“We had grievances about the budget…there were many…the budget ceiling for a certain ministry had been fixed at Rs 5-7 billion, but Rs 25 billion was allocated (by the finance minister)…I think that the ministry is headed by the prime minister, it is the Ministry of Urban Development.”
South Asia Check has examined whether this statement is fact-based or not.
For this, the following two statements of Chairman Dahal have been examined:
First statement: Budget limit for the Ministry of Urban Development had been fixed at Rs 5-7 billion for this year.
Every year, the Resource Committee of the National Planning Commission recommends budget ceilings for all the ministries. When South Asia Check enquired about budget limit for this year for the Ministry of Urban Development, Joint Secretary at the National Planning Commission, Gopi Mainali, said, “The budget ceilings fixed by the committee is classified information. These are not made public.”
Therefore, it cannot be said whether Dahal’s statement about the ceiling is correct or not.
Second statement: For the Ministry of Urban Development headed by Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli, Rs 25 billion rupees was allocated.
According to the budget for the current fiscal year, about Rs 23.50 billion has been allocated for the Ministry of Urban Development. For details, see Annex-7 of the budget speech.
Therefore, this statement by Chairman Dahal is almost correct.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- Media Quarterly report (April-June) on anonymous sources in newspapers
- Fact Check PM wrongly claims Nepal has lowest taxes
- Fact Check Who should be credited for introducing health insurance program in Nepal?
- Earthquake Promise Tracker Nepal earthquake recovery aid: Commitments and disbursements
- Fact Check Paudel wrongly claims NC central committee is more inclusive than that of communist parties
- In Public Interest Dr Govinda KC’s demands and achievements
In Public InterestDr Govinda KC’s demands and achievements South Asia Check has compiled the demands put forth by medical reforms crusader Dr Govinda KC during... Read More
- Rape complaints doubled in six years: Police data
- Pesticides tests of fruits and vegetables, problems galore
- Kalimati lab data shows pesticides in vegetables decreasing
- Will tourist arrivals surge?
- There was a time when rice was Nepal’s major export item