Fewa is not an artificial lake
Sujit Mainali / August 11, 2017
When several media including two national dailies Nagarik and Republica reported that tourism entrepreneur Karna Shakya has been running a resort in Pokhara by encroaching the famed Fewa lake, Shakya issued a statement terming the allegations as baseless.
In the statement, he also claimed that Fewa is an artificial lake.
Shakya said: “We have to understand that Fewa is an artificial lake that formed after a dam was constructed during the Rana period.”
South Asia Check has examined whether this statement is fact-based or not.
According to a study report “Pokhara Valley: A Geographical Survey” prepared by noted geographer Dr Harka Gurung, Pokhara lakes were formed when the pre-glacial drainage system was filled up by the outwash drift of the valley train (1965, pg 10). This report is based on Dr Gurung’s PhD thesis submitted to the University of Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1965.
Dr Gurung’s book “Vignettes of Nepal” and “Faces of Nepal” further mentions that Jung Bahadur Rana, the founder of Rana regime in Nepal, had planned to pump the water of the lake for irrigation but the plan was unsuccessful.
“Vignettes of Nepal” has quoted following remarks of British author Perceval Landon (1867-1927):
“The highest level [of the lake] is, however, so much lower than that of the valley that irrigation can only be affected by a large pumping plant. Jang Bahadur had a scheme for installing these pumps and hoped that he might secure an annual income of thirty or forty thousand pounds thereby. But the presence of an European engineer was regarded as essential, and the traditional hatred of the presence of foreigners, even Jang Bahadur did not care to challenge” (1980, pg 150-151, Sajha Prakashan, Kathmandu).
Dr Gurung’s another book “Faces of Nepal” states that the lake referred by Landon was Fewa.
Therefore, Karna Shakya’s claim is baseless.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- Earthquake Promise Tracker Nepal earthquake recovery aid: Commitments and disbursements
- Fact Check Paudel wrongly claims NC central committee is more inclusive than that of communist parties
- In Public Interest Dr Govinda KC’s demands and achievements
- In Public Interest Rape complaints doubled in six years: Police data
- Fact Check NCP leader wrongly accuses Prof Mathema of permitting private medical colleges
- Fact Check Foreign minister makes wrong claim about mentions of Koshi high dam in Nepal-India joint statements
In Public InterestDr Govinda KC’s demands and achievements South Asia Check has compiled the demands put forth by medical reforms crusader Dr Govinda KC during... Read More
- Rape complaints doubled in six years: Police data
- Pesticides tests of fruits and vegetables, problems galore
- Kalimati lab data shows pesticides in vegetables decreasing
- Will tourist arrivals surge?
- There was a time when rice was Nepal’s major export item