Madhav Nepal gets year wrong for women’s suffrage in Switzerland
Sujit Mainali / January 6, 2017
CPN-UML leader Madhav Kumar Nepal, who is also a former prime minister of Nepal, made the following statement during an interview aired on Avenues TV on December 30, 2016:
“Don’t you know that women in Switzerland were granted the right to vote only in 1975?”
South Asia Check has examined whether this statement is fact-based or not.
In 1959, a referendum was held in Switzerland to decide whether or not women should be granted the right to vote. The party which was in favor of voting rights for women was defeated in the referendum.
Another referendum held in 1971 in Switzerland reversed the result of the 1959 referendum. In this referendum, the party that favored voting rights for women became victorious.
The official result showed 621,403 of the all-male electorate supported the voting rights for women and 323,596 were against.
Therefore, leader Nepal is wrong in saying that Swiss women got voting rights in 1975.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- Fact Check Old photo being circulated as that of recent Chepang settlement fire
- Fact Check Peru hill collapse image being circulated as Darchula landslide photo
- Fact Check WHO hasn’t approved any home remedy for COVID-19
- Fact Check Zee News editor-in-chief’s comments on Sarita Giri expulsion erroneous
- Media Quarterly report (April- June 2020) on anonymous sources in newspapers
- Fact Check PM’s claims about depression and turmeric partially true but he’s incorrect about WHO guidelines on COVID-19 deaths verification
In Public InterestScientists worldwide in desperate search for COVID-19 drug South Asia Check has gathered insights on the trials and investigations for vaccines and drugs to tr... Read More
- Six things to know for cannabis legalization in Nepal
- Women ministers in Nepal
- Brace yourself for toxic winter air
- Nepal has no technology to test alleged use of oxytocin in fruits and vegetables
- Nepal is among 25 countries that deny women right to pass on citizenship to children independently