PM wrong in saying Nepal is currently not using even 300 MW
Sujit Mainali / May 13, 2016
Addressing the parliament on May 23, Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli said that currently Nepal does not consume even 300 MW of electricity.
“We have been generating electricity for the past 105 years, but we are not using even 300 MW this evening,” he said.
South Asia Check has fact checked the following two statements of the prime minister:
First statement: Nepal has been generating electricity for the past 105 years.
Second statement: But we are not using even 300 MW this evening.
First Statement: Nepal has been generating electricity for the past 105 years.
The 500 KW Pharping hydropower project constructed in 1911 is the first hydropower project in Nepal. Click here for more information.
So, Oli is correct in saying that it has been 105 years since the first hydropower project was constructed.
Second Statement: But we are not using even 300 MW this evening.
Two days after PM Oli made the statement, Nepal Electricity Authority (NEA) released “Daily Operation Report“, which shows that Nepal consumed 658.12 MW of electricity on May 25.
Out of the 658.12 MW, 272.80 MW was generated by the NEA itself, 84.88 MW was purchased from the private-sector projects in Nepal, and the remaining 300.44 was imported from India.
So, the prime minister is wrong in saying that Nepal currently does not consume even 300 MW.
If the prime minister hinted at NEA’s power generation, then he is correct because NEA projects are currently generating just 272.8 MW.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- Media Quarterly report (April-June) on anonymous sources in newspapers
- Fact Check PM wrongly claims Nepal has lowest taxes
- Fact Check Who should be credited for introducing health insurance program in Nepal?
- Earthquake Promise Tracker Nepal earthquake recovery aid: Commitments and disbursements
- Fact Check Paudel wrongly claims NC central committee is more inclusive than that of communist parties
- In Public Interest Dr Govinda KC’s demands and achievements
In Public InterestDr Govinda KC’s demands and achievements South Asia Check has compiled the demands put forth by medical reforms crusader Dr Govinda KC during... Read More
- Rape complaints doubled in six years: Police data
- Pesticides tests of fruits and vegetables, problems galore
- Kalimati lab data shows pesticides in vegetables decreasing
- Will tourist arrivals surge?
- There was a time when rice was Nepal’s major export item