Prime minister’s wealth: Then and now
Pratibha Rawal / September 22, 2017
On September 18, 2017, the Office of the Prime Minister and Council of Ministers (OPMCM) made public the property details of 28 ministers out of the 56 ministers in the cabinet. The property details of Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba were also made public.
We have compared the details of property made public by Prime Minister Deuba now vis-à-vis the property made public in 1991 when he was a cabinet minister in then Girija Prasad Koirala-led government.[Source: Gorkhapatra daily of Sept 7, 1991]
According to the details of 1991, it is seen that there was 29 bigha of land in the name of his father and brothers in Dadeldhura and Kanchanpur districts. As per the current details (2017), there is 57 ropani (4.3. bigha) of land in Dadeldhura in his father’s name and 10 bigha land in Kanchanpur in his brother’s name. In addition, Prime Minister Deuba has Rs 1,650,739.75 in bank account and has 10 gold coins and 13 tola gold (two 2-tola chains; one 5-tola bracelet; and four 1-tola ring set with diamond, ruby etc.)
In the interval of 26 years, Prime Minister Deuba’s land decreased from 29 bigha to approximately 14.3 bigha however his property in the form of bank balance and ornaments has increased.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- Fact Check Dahal had not helped Madhav Nepal become prime minister
- Fact Check Govt’s policy and program made wrong claim about Raxaul-Amlekhgunj petroleum pipeline
- In Public Interest Nepal has no technology to test alleged use of oxytocin in fruits and vegetables
- Media Quarterly report (Jan-March 2019 on anonymous sources in newspapers
- Media Quarterly report (October-December 2018) on anonymous sources in newspapers
- Fact Check Opinion article has errors in figures
In Public InterestNepal has no technology to test alleged use of oxytocin in fruits and vegetables There have not been reliable scientific studies on the use of oxytocin in vegetable and fruits, in b... Read More
- Nepal is among 25 countries that deny women right to pass on citizenship to children independently
- Inland waterways: Are Nepali waters navigable?
- What had been agreed with Dr KC and what is in the bill?
- PM’s invitation for river trip to Calcutta premature
- NARC grappling with manpower shortage