Will tourist arrivals surge?
Sujit Mainali / June 29, 2018
A parliamentarian from the Nepal Communist Party (NCP) Nawaraj Silwal speaking in parliament recently said Nepal’s tourism sector can benefit if Nepal and China are linked through railways. He said:
“In 2016, a total of 20.6 million foreign tourists visited China. If we are able to attract only 15 percent of them, then that will be three million tourists. If a tourist spent only US$ 1000 during his/her stay, then Nepal could earn US$ 3 billion.”
Altogether 138 million tourists visited mainland China in 2016.
Among them, 28.15 million were foreigners. The remaining were from Hong Kong (81.06 million), Macau (23.50) and Taiwan (5.73).
The statistics shows that 7.65 million more tourists visited China in 2016 than stated by Silwal.
Silwal also said that the tourists could spend US$ 1000 during their stay in Nepal.
Nepal’s average expenditure per visitor was US$ 695 in the fiscal year 2016/17. Ten years ago, this was US$ 535. (Nepal Tourism Statistics 2017, Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation, 2018, p 92)
Therefore, to make the tourists spend US$ 1000, Nepal should focus on prolonging their stay. Currently the average length of stay of foreign tourists is 12.6 days. (Nepal Tourism Statistics 2017, Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation, 2018, p 11)
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- Media Quarterly report (April-June 2019) on anonymous sources in newspapers
- Fact Check Kathmandu PM levels show PM’s air quality claim baseless
- Fact Check Dahal had not helped Madhav Nepal become prime minister
- Fact Check Govt’s policy and program made wrong claim about Raxaul-Amlekhgunj petroleum pipeline
- In Public Interest Nepal has no technology to test alleged use of oxytocin in fruits and vegetables
- Media Quarterly report (Jan-March 2019 on anonymous sources in newspapers
In Public InterestNepal has no technology to test alleged use of oxytocin in fruits and vegetables There have not been reliable scientific studies on the use of oxytocin in vegetable and fruits, in b... Read More
- Nepal is among 25 countries that deny women right to pass on citizenship to children independently
- Inland waterways: Are Nepali waters navigable?
- What had been agreed with Dr KC and what is in the bill?
- PM’s invitation for river trip to Calcutta premature
- NARC grappling with manpower shortage