Will tourist arrivals surge?
Sujit Mainali / June 29, 2018
A parliamentarian from the Nepal Communist Party (NCP) Nawaraj Silwal speaking in parliament recently said Nepal’s tourism sector can benefit if Nepal and China are linked through railways. He said:
“In 2016, a total of 20.6 million foreign tourists visited China. If we are able to attract only 15 percent of them, then that will be three million tourists. If a tourist spent only US$ 1000 during his/her stay, then Nepal could earn US$ 3 billion.”
Altogether 138 million tourists visited mainland China in 2016.
Among them, 28.15 million were foreigners. The remaining were from Hong Kong (81.06 million), Macau (23.50) and Taiwan (5.73).
The statistics shows that 7.65 million more tourists visited China in 2016 than stated by Silwal.
Silwal also said that the tourists could spend US$ 1000 during their stay in Nepal.
Nepal’s average expenditure per visitor was US$ 695 in the fiscal year 2016/17. Ten years ago, this was US$ 535. (Nepal Tourism Statistics 2017, Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation, 2018, p 92)
Therefore, to make the tourists spend US$ 1000, Nepal should focus on prolonging their stay. Currently the average length of stay of foreign tourists is 12.6 days. (Nepal Tourism Statistics 2017, Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation, 2018, p 11)
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- Media Quarterly report (April-June) on anonymous sources in newspapers
- Fact Check PM wrongly claims Nepal has lowest taxes
- Fact Check Who should be credited for introducing health insurance program in Nepal?
- Earthquake Promise Tracker Nepal earthquake recovery aid: Commitments and disbursements
- Fact Check Paudel wrongly claims NC central committee is more inclusive than that of communist parties
- In Public Interest Dr Govinda KC’s demands and achievements
In Public InterestDr Govinda KC’s demands and achievements South Asia Check has compiled the demands put forth by medical reforms crusader Dr Govinda KC during... Read More
- Rape complaints doubled in six years: Police data
- Pesticides tests of fruits and vegetables, problems galore
- Kalimati lab data shows pesticides in vegetables decreasing
- Will tourist arrivals surge?
- There was a time when rice was Nepal’s major export item