Ex-minister Baskota overstates number of Covid testing labs
Sanjog Shiwakoti / November 24, 2020
Central committee member of the ruling Nepal Communist Party and former communications minister Gokul Prasad Baskota speaking at a function at Bhaleshwar Secondary School in Panauti Municipality in Kavrepalanchowk on November 23 said:
“Currently tests for Covid are being conducted in around 97 places [in the country].” [Go to 5 mins 25 seconds into the video].
South Asia Check fact-checked Baskota’s statement and found it to be an exaggeration.
According to the daily “Situation Report #288” published by the Ministry of Health and Population on November 23, only 77 labs across the country are currently conducting tests for Covid-19. Of these, 44 are government labs and 33 are private ones. This shows Baskota’s claim is an overstatement.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- Fact Check Some pictures circulating as this week’s Melamchi flooding scenes are old
- Fact Check Video clips falsely suggest Covid-19 vaccine makes human body magnetic
- Fact Check Prime minister’s press advisor wrongly claims Chure hills lie only in Nepal
- Fact Check Birtamod mayor’s misleading remedies for Covid-19 and false claims fact-checked
- Fact Check Old man in viral social media posts is a US WWII veteran, not a Covid-recovered Italian
- Fact Check Nepal village photo used in the context of Indian cricket misleads many
In Public InterestRead this before opting for alternative remedies for Covid-19 The effects of reckless consumption of herbs may not be seen immediately, but it can cause harm in t... Read More
- Scientists worldwide in desperate search for COVID-19 drug
- Six things to know for cannabis legalization in Nepal
- Women ministers in Nepal
- Brace yourself for toxic winter air
- Nepal has no technology to test alleged use of oxytocin in fruits and vegetables