ICG-Brussels bloats Madhesi numbers
Sujit Mainali / April 7, 2016
The report titled “Nepal’s divisive new constitution: An existential crisis” released on April 4, 2016 by the Brussels-based International Crisis Group (ICG) has claimed that Madhesi and Tharu communities combined make up more than a third of the population of Nepal.
“The parties representing the protesting Madhesi and smaller indigenous Tharu communities of the plains, who together are over a third of Nepal’s population…,” the report has said.
South Asia Check has fact-checked the statement.
According to the latest census report prepared by the Central Bureau of Statistics, Madhesi (19.3 percent) and Tharu (6.6 percent) communities combined make up 25.9 percent of the total population.
The ICG report has mentioned that Tharus make up 7 percent of the population, which is almost correct.
Members of the Muslim community in the Tarai are also involved in the “Madhes Uprising”. Muslims are settled also in the Hills of Nepal, but majority of the Muslim population resides in the Tarai.
Even if the nation’s total Muslim population (4.4 percent) is added to the total population of communities involved in the “Madhes Uprising”, then it adds up to just 30.3 percent of the total population of Nepal which is still less than a third of the total population.
The ICG report has defined the term Madhesi as an “umbrella term for a population of caste-based Hindus residing in the Tarai region, who speak plains languages such as Maithali and Bhojpuri, and have extensive economic, social and family ties across the border in northern India.”
This definition has explicitly excluded the Muslim community.
Therefore, the ICG report has clearly exaggerated the size of the Madhesi community.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- In Public Interest Covid-19 cases are low, but that’s not an excuse to avoid vaccination
- In Public Interest What is BF.7, the sub-variant that has the world by its grip?
- In Public Interest Threat of a new Covid-19 wave looms large amid vaccine shortage in Nepal
- In Public Interest As cases decline, Covid-19 test centres in Kathmandu are desolate lot
- In Public Interest Dengue test fee disparity has patients wondering if they’re being cheated
- In Public Interest As dengue rages on, confusion galore about what it is and what its symptoms are. Here’s what you need to know
In Public InterestCovid-19 cases are low, but that’s not an excuse to avoid vaccination The Pfizer-BioNTech bivalent vaccines authorised by the Nepal Government provide better protection a... Read More
- What is BF.7, the sub-variant that has the world by its grip?
- Threat of a new Covid-19 wave looms large amid vaccine shortage in Nepal
- As cases decline, Covid-19 test centres in Kathmandu are desolate lot
- Dengue test fee disparity has patients wondering if they’re being cheated
- As dengue rages on, confusion galore about what it is and what its symptoms are. Here’s what you need to know