Photo from Tikapur Incident?
South Asia Check / August 24, 2015
No, it is a 2011 one from North Carolina, USA
A blogsite used this photograph in a news piece about the violence in Tikapur in Kailali, Nepal earlier Monday (Aug 24, 2015). The news does not provide caption for the photo of a burning man. Therefore, it might lead to an impression that it is from today’s incident in Tikapur. It was also shared on social media platforms. However, our fact-check shows that this is an old photo — from December 11, 2011 and is from Asheville, North Carolina in the US*.
Click here to see the video.
*Previously, we had said the photo was from Tampa, Florida of February 2012. We thank the alert reader who kindly pointed out the error. Many apologies.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- Media Quarterly report (April-June 2019) on anonymous sources in newspapers
- Fact Check Kathmandu PM levels show PM’s air quality claim baseless
- Fact Check Dahal had not helped Madhav Nepal become prime minister
- Fact Check Govt’s policy and program made wrong claim about Raxaul-Amlekhgunj petroleum pipeline
- In Public Interest Nepal has no technology to test alleged use of oxytocin in fruits and vegetables
- Media Quarterly report (Jan-March 2019 on anonymous sources in newspapers
In Public InterestNepal has no technology to test alleged use of oxytocin in fruits and vegetables There have not been reliable scientific studies on the use of oxytocin in vegetable and fruits, in b... Read More
- Nepal is among 25 countries that deny women right to pass on citizenship to children independently
- Inland waterways: Are Nepali waters navigable?
- What had been agreed with Dr KC and what is in the bill?
- PM’s invitation for river trip to Calcutta premature
- NARC grappling with manpower shortage