Photo from Tikapur Incident?
South Asia Check / August 24, 2015
No, it is a 2011 one from North Carolina, USA
A blogsite used this photograph in a news piece about the violence in Tikapur in Kailali, Nepal earlier Monday (Aug 24, 2015). The news does not provide caption for the photo of a burning man. Therefore, it might lead to an impression that it is from today’s incident in Tikapur. It was also shared on social media platforms. However, our fact-check shows that this is an old photo — from December 11, 2011 and is from Asheville, North Carolina in the US*.
Click here to see the video.
*Previously, we had said the photo was from Tampa, Florida of February 2012. We thank the alert reader who kindly pointed out the error. Many apologies.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- In Public Interest Should we be worried about the XE variant of Omicron?
- Fact Check News reports about suspension of international flights are false
- Fact Check Mahesh Acharya had resigned as defense minister after governor’s reinstatement
- Fact Check Old photos being circulated as recent ones from Ukraine war
- Fact Check Man seen falling in a viral clip is indeed Maoist chief Dahal
- Fact Check A viral video clip claiming to show fatal chopper crash involving Indian general is old
In Public InterestShould we be worried about the XE variant of Omicron? By Pravin Bhatta/South Asia Check On May 4, 2022, Nepal reported the death of a 45-year-old woman fr... Read More
- Read this before opting for alternative remedies for Covid-19
- Scientists worldwide in desperate search for COVID-19 drug
- Six things to know for cannabis legalization in Nepal
- Women ministers in Nepal
- Brace yourself for toxic winter air