Photo from Tikapur Incident?
South Asia Check / August 24, 2015
No, it is a 2011 one from North Carolina, USA
A blogsite used this photograph in a news piece about the violence in Tikapur in Kailali, Nepal earlier Monday (Aug 24, 2015). The news does not provide caption for the photo of a burning man. Therefore, it might lead to an impression that it is from today’s incident in Tikapur. It was also shared on social media platforms. However, our fact-check shows that this is an old photo — from December 11, 2011 and is from Asheville, North Carolina in the US*.
Click here to see the video.
*Previously, we had said the photo was from Tampa, Florida of February 2012. We thank the alert reader who kindly pointed out the error. Many apologies.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- Fact Check Opinion article has errors in figures
- In Public Interest Nepal is among 25 countries that deny women right to pass on citizenship to children independently
- Promise Tracker Progress report on Kasthamandap reconstruction
- In Public Interest Inland waterways: Are Nepali waters navigable?
- Fact Check PM wrongly claims credit for no cold wave deaths
- In Public Interest What had been agreed with Dr KC and what is in the bill?
In Public InterestNepal is among 25 countries that deny women right to pass on citizenship to children independently In Nepal while there is a debate ongoing over whether to grant the women the right to confer citizen... Read More
- Inland waterways: Are Nepali waters navigable?
- What had been agreed with Dr KC and what is in the bill?
- PM’s invitation for river trip to Calcutta premature
- NARC grappling with manpower shortage
- Dr Govinda KC’s demands and achievements