Adhikari wrong about women’s representation in Federal Parliament
Sujit Mainali / January 2, 2018
While commenting on the representation of women in the Federal Parliament, CPN-UML leader Rabindra Adhikari said the following during an interview with Nepallive.com published on December 31:
“The constitution does not say anything if the total number of women representatives in both the assemblies remains below 33 percent.”
Here, Adhikari says that the constitution has not made it mandatory for the political parties to ensure 33.33 percent representation in the Federal Parliament. According to Article 83 of the Constitution of Nepal, 2015, the House of Representative and the National Assembly combined is known as the Federal Parliament.
But Article 84 (8) of the Constitution clearly states that at least a third of the total members elected from each political party representing in the Federal Parliament must be women. If women are not so elected as to constitute one third of the elected members of any political party through the first-past-the-post electoral system of the House of Representatives and election of the National Assembly, the deficient number must be covered through proportional electoral system in the House of Representatives.
Therefore, Adhikari’s statement is wrong.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- Fact Check Dahal had not helped Madhav Nepal become prime minister
- Fact Check Govt’s policy and program made wrong claim about Raxaul-Amlekhgunj petroleum pipeline
- In Public Interest Nepal has no technology to test alleged use of oxytocin in fruits and vegetables
- Media Quarterly report (Jan-March 2019 on anonymous sources in newspapers
- Media Quarterly report (October-December 2018) on anonymous sources in newspapers
- Fact Check Opinion article has errors in figures
In Public InterestNepal has no technology to test alleged use of oxytocin in fruits and vegetables There have not been reliable scientific studies on the use of oxytocin in vegetable and fruits, in b... Read More
- Nepal is among 25 countries that deny women right to pass on citizenship to children independently
- Inland waterways: Are Nepali waters navigable?
- What had been agreed with Dr KC and what is in the bill?
- PM’s invitation for river trip to Calcutta premature
- NARC grappling with manpower shortage