Ex-minister Baskota overstates number of Covid testing labs
Sanjog Shiwakoti / November 24, 2020
Central committee member of the ruling Nepal Communist Party and former communications minister Gokul Prasad Baskota speaking at a function at Bhaleshwar Secondary School in Panauti Municipality in Kavrepalanchowk on November 23 said:
“Currently tests for Covid are being conducted in around 97 places [in the country].” [Go to 5 mins 25 seconds into the video].
South Asia Check fact-checked Baskota’s statement and found it to be an exaggeration.
According to the daily “Situation Report #288” published by the Ministry of Health and Population on November 23, only 77 labs across the country are currently conducting tests for Covid-19. Of these, 44 are government labs and 33 are private ones. This shows Baskota’s claim is an overstatement.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- Media Quarterly report (Jan-March) on anonymous sources in newspapers
- Fact Check Old foreign photos being circulated as Nepal wildfire photos
- Fact Check TikTok user trimmed video to show Dahal in a bad light
- Fact Check Shashank Koirala significantly understates Nepal’s arable land area
- Fact Check PM’s suggestion of salt water gargle as home remedy for Covid is misleading
- Fact Check Old photo photoshopped to show Indian flag in February 10 demonstration
In Public InterestScientists worldwide in desperate search for COVID-19 drug South Asia Check has gathered insights on the trials and investigations for vaccines and drugs to tr... Read More
- Six things to know for cannabis legalization in Nepal
- Women ministers in Nepal
- Brace yourself for toxic winter air
- Nepal has no technology to test alleged use of oxytocin in fruits and vegetables
- Nepal is among 25 countries that deny women right to pass on citizenship to children independently