Finance minister’s claim of no labor strike during past two years is false
Sanjog Shiwakoti / September 27, 2019
On Thursday, September 26, 2019, Finance Minister Yuba Raj Khatiwada speaking at Tilottama Investment Summit 2019 organized by Tilottama Municipality in Rupandehi district said the following:
“Has anyone heard of labor strikes since the past two years? Have we heard of a labor dispute resulting in unfavorable industrial atmosphere in the past two years? We haven’t.” [go to 58 seconds in the video]
South Asia Check has examined whether the finance minister’s statement is fact-based or not.
South Asia Check found that there were several instances of labor strikes during the past two years.
A few cases are as follows:
- According to a news report published in Kantipur on June 18, 2019, Kathmandu-based Hyatt Regency was shut down due to a workers’ strike. The hotel remained closed for several days.
- According to a report published in The Kathmandu Post on February 5, 2019, restaurant workers went on a strike to protest the scrapping of 10 percent service charge by the Restaurants and Bar Association Nepal.
- According to a September 21, 2018 report in The Kathmandu Post, a nationwide public transport strike was on its fourth day.
- According to report in Himal Khabar of May 1, 2019, around 50,000 tea estate workers were on strike since over a month.
- Another Himal Khabar report of November 29, 2018, said the workers of Nepal Hydro and Electric Limited in Butwal, stopped work putting forth a seven-point demand from November 23, 2018.
There had been other similar labor strikes during the past two years, therefore the finance minister’s statement is false.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- Promise Tracker Despite delays, KRC hopes to rebuild Kasthamandap within deadline
- In Public Interest Brace yourself for toxic winter air
- Fact Check Nagdhunga tunnel road will be Nepal’s third, Churia tunnel road is first and Bhulbhule’s second
- Media Quarterly report (July- Sept 2019) on anonymous sources in newspapers
- Fact Check Finance minister’s claim of no labor strike during past two years is false
- Fact Check PM’s foreign affairs advisor repeats an already debunked claim
In Public InterestBrace yourself for toxic winter air Winter is approaching in Kathmandu. Winter is not only about chilly weather but also more toxin in t... Read More
- Nepal has no technology to test alleged use of oxytocin in fruits and vegetables
- Nepal is among 25 countries that deny women right to pass on citizenship to children independently
- Inland waterways: Are Nepali waters navigable?
- What had been agreed with Dr KC and what is in the bill?
- PM’s invitation for river trip to Calcutta premature