Lohani overstates global Hindu population
Sujit Mainali / September 6, 2017
The chairman of the newly-formed Ekikrit Rastrabadi Prajatantra Party and former finance minister Prakash Chandra Lohani said the following at a function in Kathmandu on September 5:
While respecting all the faiths, Nepal should be declared a Hindu nation, this is our demand. There are 1.3 billion Hindus across the world. Hinduism is our soft power. We don’t think we should let go of this power so easily.
South Asia Check has examined whether the global population of Hindus is 1.3 billion or not.
According to a report entitled “The Changing Global Religious Landscape” released in 2017 by the US-based Pew Research Center, Hinduism is the third largest religion in the world after Christianity and Islam, and 1.1 billion people of the world are Hindus.
According to the report, by 2060 AD, the global Hindu population is expected to increase by 27 percent and reach 1.4 billion.
This shows Lohani has exaggerated global Hindu population.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- In Public Interest What had been agreed with Dr KC and what is in the bill?
- Fact Check Minister falsely claims credit for Mahendra Highway widening work
- In Public Interest PM’s invitation for river trip to Calcutta premature
- Earthquake Promise Tracker Half of quake-destroyed schools rebuilt
- Fact Check NAC Managing Director Kansakar lies on camera
- Fact Check Nepali Congress was not the first party to demand federalism
In Public InterestWhat had been agreed with Dr KC and what is in the bill? What was in the July 26 agreement between Dr Govinda KC and the government? What is in the Medical E... Read More
- PM’s invitation for river trip to Calcutta premature
- NARC grappling with manpower shortage
- Dr Govinda KC’s demands and achievements
- Rape complaints doubled in six years: Police data
- Pesticides tests of fruits and vegetables, problems galore