Lohani overstates global Hindu population
Sujit Mainali / September 6, 2017
The chairman of the newly-formed Ekikrit Rastrabadi Prajatantra Party and former finance minister Prakash Chandra Lohani said the following at a function in Kathmandu on September 5:
While respecting all the faiths, Nepal should be declared a Hindu nation, this is our demand. There are 1.3 billion Hindus across the world. Hinduism is our soft power. We don’t think we should let go of this power so easily.
South Asia Check has examined whether the global population of Hindus is 1.3 billion or not.
According to a report entitled “The Changing Global Religious Landscape” released in 2017 by the US-based Pew Research Center, Hinduism is the third largest religion in the world after Christianity and Islam, and 1.1 billion people of the world are Hindus.
According to the report, by 2060 AD, the global Hindu population is expected to increase by 27 percent and reach 1.4 billion.
This shows Lohani has exaggerated global Hindu population.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- Fact Check Rajendra Shrestha partially correct about communist party’s 1954 document
- Fact Check Mahato misreads constitutional provisions on altering provincial boundaries
- Media Quarterly report (Jan-Mar) on anonymous sources in newspapers
- Fact Check Govt’s 2016 energy document can’t be solely credited for reduction in load-shedding
- Fact Check How correct are Congress spokesman’s claims about white paper?
- In Public Interest There was a time when rice was Nepal’s major export item
In Public InterestThere was a time when rice was Nepal’s major export item Several news reports and articles published in Gorkhapatra between 1974 and 1975 said the agricultur... Read More
- Communities that have been able to make it to parliament without reservation
- Birth date mismatch problem isn’t going away soon
- Few women elected to parliament under FPTP
- Six women elected to parliament under FPTP system
- Tall poll promises!