Lohani overstates global Hindu population
Sujit Mainali / September 6, 2017
The chairman of the newly-formed Ekikrit Rastrabadi Prajatantra Party and former finance minister Prakash Chandra Lohani said the following at a function in Kathmandu on September 5:
While respecting all the faiths, Nepal should be declared a Hindu nation, this is our demand. There are 1.3 billion Hindus across the world. Hinduism is our soft power. We don’t think we should let go of this power so easily.
South Asia Check has examined whether the global population of Hindus is 1.3 billion or not.
According to a report entitled “The Changing Global Religious Landscape” released in 2017 by the US-based Pew Research Center, Hinduism is the third largest religion in the world after Christianity and Islam, and 1.1 billion people of the world are Hindus.
According to the report, by 2060 AD, the global Hindu population is expected to increase by 27 percent and reach 1.4 billion.
This shows Lohani has exaggerated global Hindu population.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- Media Quarterly report (April-June) on anonymous sources in newspapers
- Fact Check PM wrongly claims Nepal has lowest taxes
- Fact Check Who should be credited for introducing health insurance program in Nepal?
- Earthquake Promise Tracker Nepal earthquake recovery aid: Commitments and disbursements
- Fact Check Paudel wrongly claims NC central committee is more inclusive than that of communist parties
- In Public Interest Dr Govinda KC’s demands and achievements
In Public InterestDr Govinda KC’s demands and achievements South Asia Check has compiled the demands put forth by medical reforms crusader Dr Govinda KC during... Read More
- Rape complaints doubled in six years: Police data
- Pesticides tests of fruits and vegetables, problems galore
- Kalimati lab data shows pesticides in vegetables decreasing
- Will tourist arrivals surge?
- There was a time when rice was Nepal’s major export item