Maoist leader falsely claims Nepal Army provided its officer cadets allowance for visiting prostitutes
Sujit Mainali / February 4, 2016
Speaking during a session at Nepal Literature Festival in Pokhara a few days ago, poet, writer and a politburo member of UCPN (Maoist), Aahuti (Bishwa Bhakta Dulal), said: “Until 2031 BS [1974-1975 AD], there used to be a provision in the Military Law to provide second lieutenant cadets allowance for visiting prostitutes.”
Click here to see the clip.
When South Asia Check contacted UCPN (Maoist) leader Aahuti and requested him to reveal the source of his claim, he said, “I learnt about this from knowledgeable people. I think this provision can be found in the Military Regulations.”
South Asia Check reviewed Nepal Army regulations in practice in and around 2031 BS. They include Royal Army (TADA) Rules-2027, Rules Pertaining To Entertainment Allowances to Army Personnel-2021, Army Recruitment (Special Provision) Rules -2018, Royal Nepalese Army Rules on New Recruitment -2019, Rules on Leave For Army Personnel-2019, Rules on New Recruitment in Pioneer Battalion-2020, and Royal Nepalese Army General Rules on the Appointment, Promotion and Miscellaneous Arrangements -2020.
We found that there is no mention of any such allowance as claimed by Aahuti.
Former Brigadier General of Nepal Army Dr Prem Singh Basnyat says, “No military force in the world provides its personnel allowances for visiting prostitutes”.
So Aahuti’s claim is baseless.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- Media Quarterly report (April-June) on anonymous sources in newspapers
- Fact Check PM wrongly claims Nepal has lowest taxes
- Fact Check Who should be credited for introducing health insurance program in Nepal?
- Earthquake Promise Tracker Nepal earthquake recovery aid: Commitments and disbursements
- Fact Check Paudel wrongly claims NC central committee is more inclusive than that of communist parties
- In Public Interest Dr Govinda KC’s demands and achievements
In Public InterestDr Govinda KC’s demands and achievements South Asia Check has compiled the demands put forth by medical reforms crusader Dr Govinda KC during... Read More
- Rape complaints doubled in six years: Police data
- Pesticides tests of fruits and vegetables, problems galore
- Kalimati lab data shows pesticides in vegetables decreasing
- Will tourist arrivals surge?
- There was a time when rice was Nepal’s major export item