Minister overstates Koshi Tappu visitor numbers
Sujit Mainali / July 2, 2018
Minister for Health Upendra Yadav, who is also the chairman of the Federal Socialist Forum, Nepal said the following while addressing a function recently:
“Birds from several places come to Koshi Tappu [Wildlife Reserve] every year. And around 100,000 to 150,000 visitors come from outside to see the birds.”
South Asia Check has examined whether Yadav’s statement is correct or not.
Yadav made the statement while speaking about foreign tourists. Therefore by “visitors from outside” he meant foreign tourists.
According to the Department of National Parks and Wildlife Conservation, a total of 11,252 foreigners visited Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve in the fiscal year 2073/74. Four years before that, the visitor number was 4,446 (Nepal Tourism Statistics 2017, Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation, 2018, p 56).
In the fiscal year 2073/74, a total of 604,091 foreign tourists visited national parks and conservation areas of Nepal. Among them, Shivapuri Nagarujun National Park had attracted the highest number of foreign tourists (205,747) and Banke National Park and Apinappa Conservation Area were visited by the least numbers of foreign visitors (4 and 19 respectively). Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve ranked seventh among the national parks and wildlife reserves of Nepal in terms of attracting more foreign tourists (Nepal Tourism Statistics 2017, Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation, 2018, p 56).
Nepal has a total of 20 conservation areas including 12 national parks, 1 wildlife reserves, 6 conservation areas and 1 hunting reserve, according to the Department of National Parks and Wildlife Conservation.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- Media Quarterly report (April-June) on anonymous sources in newspapers
- Fact Check PM wrongly claims Nepal has lowest taxes
- Fact Check Who should be credited for introducing health insurance program in Nepal?
- Earthquake Promise Tracker Nepal earthquake recovery aid: Commitments and disbursements
- Fact Check Paudel wrongly claims NC central committee is more inclusive than that of communist parties
- In Public Interest Dr Govinda KC’s demands and achievements
In Public InterestDr Govinda KC’s demands and achievements South Asia Check has compiled the demands put forth by medical reforms crusader Dr Govinda KC during... Read More
- Rape complaints doubled in six years: Police data
- Pesticides tests of fruits and vegetables, problems galore
- Kalimati lab data shows pesticides in vegetables decreasing
- Will tourist arrivals surge?
- There was a time when rice was Nepal’s major export item