PM Dahal does it again, makes wrong claim about economic growth
Bhrikuti Rai / April 21, 2017
Addressing a Maoist function in Birtamod of Jhapa district on April 20, Prime Minister Pushpa Kamal Dahal talked about the achievements made by his government. He said, “We’ve proved all naysayers wrong since the government under my leadership was formed. We have managed to take the economic growth from 0.8 percent to 6.2 percent.”
South Asia Check examined whether the prime minister’s claim about economic growth is true or not.
Nepal’s economic growth rate in the last fiscal year was 0.82 percent. For the year 2017, the World Bank and the Asian Development Bank have forecast growth rates of 6 percent and 5.2 percent respectively.
Since these are only predictions for the upcoming fiscal year, Prime Minister Dahal’s claim that Nepal achieved 6.2 percent growth is false.
Earlier this month Dahal had made similar claims about this year’s economic growth rate prediction being the highest in 24 years which also turned out be false.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- Fact Check Opinion article has errors in figures
- In Public Interest Nepal is among 25 countries that deny women right to pass on citizenship to children independently
- Promise Tracker Progress report on Kasthamandap reconstruction
- In Public Interest Inland waterways: Are Nepali waters navigable?
- Fact Check PM wrongly claims credit for no cold wave deaths
- In Public Interest What had been agreed with Dr KC and what is in the bill?
In Public InterestNepal is among 25 countries that deny women right to pass on citizenship to children independently In Nepal while there is a debate ongoing over whether to grant the women the right to confer citizen... Read More
- Inland waterways: Are Nepali waters navigable?
- What had been agreed with Dr KC and what is in the bill?
- PM’s invitation for river trip to Calcutta premature
- NARC grappling with manpower shortage
- Dr Govinda KC’s demands and achievements