PM Dahal does it again, makes wrong claim about economic growth
Bhrikuti Rai / April 21, 2017
Addressing a Maoist function in Birtamod of Jhapa district on April 20, Prime Minister Pushpa Kamal Dahal talked about the achievements made by his government. He said, “We’ve proved all naysayers wrong since the government under my leadership was formed. We have managed to take the economic growth from 0.8 percent to 6.2 percent.”
South Asia Check examined whether the prime minister’s claim about economic growth is true or not.
Nepal’s economic growth rate in the last fiscal year was 0.82 percent. For the year 2017, the World Bank and the Asian Development Bank have forecast growth rates of 6 percent and 5.2 percent respectively.
Since these are only predictions for the upcoming fiscal year, Prime Minister Dahal’s claim that Nepal achieved 6.2 percent growth is false.
Earlier this month Dahal had made similar claims about this year’s economic growth rate prediction being the highest in 24 years which also turned out be false.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- In Public Interest Women ministers in Nepal
- Promise Tracker Despite delays, KRC hopes to rebuild Kasthamandap within deadline
- In Public Interest Brace yourself for toxic winter air
- Fact Check Nagdhunga tunnel road will be Nepal’s third, Churia tunnel road is first and Bhulbhule’s second
- Media Quarterly report (July- Sept 2019) on anonymous sources in newspapers
- Fact Check Finance minister’s claim of no labor strike during past two years is false
In Public InterestWomen ministers in Nepal After the advent of democracy in Nepal in 1951, it took over eight years for the first woman to beco... Read More
- Brace yourself for toxic winter air
- Nepal has no technology to test alleged use of oxytocin in fruits and vegetables
- Nepal is among 25 countries that deny women right to pass on citizenship to children independently
- Inland waterways: Are Nepali waters navigable?
- What had been agreed with Dr KC and what is in the bill?