PM’s foreign affairs advisor repeats an already debunked claim
South Asia Check / August 8, 2019
Gyanendra Acharya/South Asia Check
Speaking on the ‘Janata Janna Chahanchhan’ program aired on Prime Times Television on August 6, the prime minister’s foreign affairs advisor Rajan Bhattarai said, “The prime minister had announced that no one would have to die due to cold weather conditions in the tarai. The government implemented his vision. As a result, no one died in the tarai in winter due to cold wave or cold weather conditions.”
Prime Minister KP Oli speaking at a public function in January had made the same claim. South Asia Check had examined the prime minister’s claim and published a report on February 15, 2019. Although the prime minister had claimed the credit for no cold wave deaths in the tarai last winter, our investigation showed, in the first place, there was no cold wave in the tarai last winter and hence there was no question of anyone dying from cold wave. Click here to see our February 15, 2019 report.
Therefore, Bhattarai’s claim is baseless.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- Fact Check Purported government text message about snap curfew was a hoax
- Media Quarterly report (July-Sept) on anonymous sources in newspapers
- Fact Check Some claims in Putin memes circulating in Nepal are false
- Fact Check Absurd claims that Covid-19 test kits predated pandemic
- Fact Check Popular YouTube interview on COVID-19 full of false, misleading claims
- Fact Check PM Oli made three false claims
In Public InterestScientists worldwide in desperate search for COVID-19 drug South Asia Check has gathered insights on the trials and investigations for vaccines and drugs to tr... Read More
- Six things to know for cannabis legalization in Nepal
- Women ministers in Nepal
- Brace yourself for toxic winter air
- Nepal has no technology to test alleged use of oxytocin in fruits and vegetables
- Nepal is among 25 countries that deny women right to pass on citizenship to children independently