Paudel wrongly claims NC central committee is more inclusive than that of communist parties
Sujit Mainali / August 15, 2018
Nepali Congress leader and the former deputy prime minister Ram Chandra Paudel said the following at a function organized by an organization of indigenous communities on August 9 in Kathmandu:
“As a member of the Nepali Congress, I can say that communist parties only make tall promises but we actually deliver… Our party’s central committee is more inclusive than that of other communist parties.”
South Asia Check has examined whether this statement is fact-based nor not.
Two major communist parties of Nepal, the CPN-UML and the UCPN (Maoist) [which was later renamed as CPN (Maoist Center)] were unified in May 2018 to form a new Nepal Communist Party (NCP).
The general Convention of the new party has yet to be held therefore the central committees of the Nepali Congress and the NCP cannot be compared.
Therefore, South Asia Check has compared the central committee of Nepali Congress with that of the former CPN-UML and former UCPN (Maoist) in terms of inclusiveness.
Madhesi were better represented in the central committee of the then UCPN (Maoist) than in the central committee of the Nepali Congress. Similarly Janajatis of hills/mountains and tarai were also better represented in the central communities of both CPN-UML and UCPN (Maoist). But hill dalits were better represented in the central committee of the Nepali Congress but again the two communist parties had higher representation of tarai Dalits.
Thus, Paudel’s claim is unfounded.
Source: Nepali Congress; Mulukko Aanuhaar (2017)
Simkhada Dhruba. 2017. Mulukko Aanuhar. Kathmandu: Himal Books.
Note: Details of the present central committee of Nepali Congress were retrieved from the official website of Nepali congress and the rest details taken from the book of Dhruba Simkhada.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- Fact Check PM wrongly claims credit for no cold wave deaths
- In Public Interest What had been agreed with Dr KC and what is in the bill?
- Fact Check Minister falsely claims credit for Mahendra Highway widening work
- In Public Interest PM’s invitation for river trip to Calcutta premature
- Promise Tracker Half of quake-destroyed schools rebuilt
- Fact Check NAC Managing Director Kansakar lies on camera
In Public InterestWhat had been agreed with Dr KC and what is in the bill? What was in the July 26 agreement between Dr Govinda KC and the government? What is in the Medical E... Read More
- PM’s invitation for river trip to Calcutta premature
- NARC grappling with manpower shortage
- Dr Govinda KC’s demands and achievements
- Rape complaints doubled in six years: Police data
- Pesticides tests of fruits and vegetables, problems galore