Paudel wrongly claims NC central committee is more inclusive than that of communist parties
Sujit Mainali / August 15, 2018
Nepali Congress leader and the former deputy prime minister Ram Chandra Paudel said the following at a function organized by an organization of indigenous communities on August 9 in Kathmandu:
“As a member of the Nepali Congress, I can say that communist parties only make tall promises but we actually deliver… Our party’s central committee is more inclusive than that of other communist parties.”
South Asia Check has examined whether this statement is fact-based nor not.
Two major communist parties of Nepal, the CPN-UML and the UCPN (Maoist) [which was later renamed as CPN (Maoist Center)] were unified in May 2018 to form a new Nepal Communist Party (NCP).
The general Convention of the new party has yet to be held therefore the central committees of the Nepali Congress and the NCP cannot be compared.
Therefore, South Asia Check has compared the central committee of Nepali Congress with that of the former CPN-UML and former UCPN (Maoist) in terms of inclusiveness.
Madhesi were better represented in the central committee of the then UCPN (Maoist) than in the central committee of the Nepali Congress. Similarly Janajatis of hills/mountains and tarai were also better represented in the central communities of both CPN-UML and UCPN (Maoist). But hill dalits were better represented in the central committee of the Nepali Congress but again the two communist parties had higher representation of tarai Dalits.
Thus, Paudel’s claim is unfounded.
Source: Nepali Congress; Mulukko Aanuhaar (2017)
Simkhada Dhruba. 2017. Mulukko Aanuhar. Kathmandu: Himal Books.
Note: Details of the present central committee of Nepali Congress were retrieved from the official website of Nepali congress and the rest details taken from the book of Dhruba Simkhada.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- Fact Check PM’s foreign affairs advisor repeats an already debunked claim
- Fact Check Finance minister makes unreliable claims about Nepali printing industry
- Fact Check Neither Tilicho nor the new lake are highest in Nepal or world
- Media Quarterly report (April-June 2019) on anonymous sources in newspapers
- Fact Check Kathmandu PM levels show PM’s air quality claim baseless
- Fact Check Dahal had not helped Madhav Nepal become prime minister
In Public InterestNepal has no technology to test alleged use of oxytocin in fruits and vegetables There have not been reliable scientific studies on the use of oxytocin in vegetable and fruits, in b... Read More
- Nepal is among 25 countries that deny women right to pass on citizenship to children independently
- Inland waterways: Are Nepali waters navigable?
- What had been agreed with Dr KC and what is in the bill?
- PM’s invitation for river trip to Calcutta premature
- NARC grappling with manpower shortage