Paudel wrongly claims NC central committee is more inclusive than that of communist parties
Sujit Mainali / August 15, 2018
Nepali Congress leader and the former deputy prime minister Ram Chandra Paudel said the following at a function organized by an organization of indigenous communities on August 9 in Kathmandu:
“As a member of the Nepali Congress, I can say that communist parties only make tall promises but we actually deliver… Our party’s central committee is more inclusive than that of other communist parties.”
South Asia Check has examined whether this statement is fact-based nor not.
Two major communist parties of Nepal, the CPN-UML and the UCPN (Maoist) [which was later renamed as CPN (Maoist Center)] were unified in May 2018 to form a new Nepal Communist Party (NCP).
The general Convention of the new party has yet to be held therefore the central committees of the Nepali Congress and the NCP cannot be compared.
Therefore, South Asia Check has compared the central committee of Nepali Congress with that of the former CPN-UML and former UCPN (Maoist) in terms of inclusiveness.
Madhesi were better represented in the central committee of the then UCPN (Maoist) than in the central committee of the Nepali Congress. Similarly Janajatis of hills/mountains and tarai were also better represented in the central communities of both CPN-UML and UCPN (Maoist). But hill dalits were better represented in the central committee of the Nepali Congress but again the two communist parties had higher representation of tarai Dalits.
Thus, Paudel’s claim is unfounded.
Source: Nepali Congress; Mulukko Aanuhaar (2017)
Simkhada Dhruba. 2017. Mulukko Aanuhar. Kathmandu: Himal Books.
Note: Details of the present central committee of Nepali Congress were retrieved from the official website of Nepali congress and the rest details taken from the book of Dhruba Simkhada.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- Media Quarterly report (April-June) on anonymous sources in newspapers
- Fact Check PM wrongly claims Nepal has lowest taxes
- Fact Check Who should be credited for introducing health insurance program in Nepal?
- Earthquake Promise Tracker Nepal earthquake recovery aid: Commitments and disbursements
- Fact Check Paudel wrongly claims NC central committee is more inclusive than that of communist parties
- In Public Interest Dr Govinda KC’s demands and achievements
In Public InterestDr Govinda KC’s demands and achievements South Asia Check has compiled the demands put forth by medical reforms crusader Dr Govinda KC during... Read More
- Rape complaints doubled in six years: Police data
- Pesticides tests of fruits and vegetables, problems galore
- Kalimati lab data shows pesticides in vegetables decreasing
- Will tourist arrivals surge?
- There was a time when rice was Nepal’s major export item