Tharuhat/Tharuwan Joint Struggle Committee wrongly claims hundreds killed in pro-Tharuhat unrest
Bhrikuti Rai / August 26, 2015
On August 24 Tharuhat/Tharuwan Joint Struggle Committee issued a press statement signed by its coordinator Dhani Ram Chaudhary. The statement says it “condemns the killings of hundreds of unarmed men and women protestors, who were shot indiscriminately in mass during the ongoing protest for autonomous Tharuhat”.
The statement’s claims are completely incorrect as only eight persons have been killed in the pro-Tharuhat protests since the four major political parties proposed a six-province federal model earlier this month [which was later revised to seven provinces]. Even among the eight deaths of August 24 in Kailali, five were police personnel. So, the claim by Tharuhat Tharuwan Joint Struggle Committee is wrong.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- Media Quarterly report (April-June) on anonymous sources in newspapers
- Fact Check PM wrongly claims Nepal has lowest taxes
- Fact Check Who should be credited for introducing health insurance program in Nepal?
- Earthquake Promise Tracker Nepal earthquake recovery aid: Commitments and disbursements
- Fact Check Paudel wrongly claims NC central committee is more inclusive than that of communist parties
- In Public Interest Dr Govinda KC’s demands and achievements
In Public InterestDr Govinda KC’s demands and achievements South Asia Check has compiled the demands put forth by medical reforms crusader Dr Govinda KC during... Read More
- Rape complaints doubled in six years: Police data
- Pesticides tests of fruits and vegetables, problems galore
- Kalimati lab data shows pesticides in vegetables decreasing
- Will tourist arrivals surge?
- There was a time when rice was Nepal’s major export item