Six women elected to parliament under FPTP system
Mohan Mainali / December 11, 2017
Six women* were elected to parliament under the first-past-the-post (FPTP) category in the recently held elections. They are Pavitra Niraula (Kharel), Pampha Bhusal, Kamala Roka, Durga Paudel, Beena Magar and Padma Kumari Aryal.
CPN-UML candidate Pavitra Niraula (Kharel) was elected from Jhapa constituency-2 by defeating Uddhav Thapa of Nepali Congress. Niraula (Kharel) secured 45,817 votes against her rival’s 32,050.
CPN (Maoist Center) candidate Pampha Bhusal was elected from Lalitpur constituency-3 defeating Madan Bahadur Amatya of Nepali Congress. Bhusal bagged 24,036 votes against her rival’s 22,328 votes.
Likewise, CPN (Maoist Center) candidate Kamala Roka was elected to parliament from Rukum East by defeating Harishankar Gharti of Nepali Congress. Roka secured 10,434 votes against her rival’s 4,406 votes.
Similarly, Durga Paudel of Rastriya Janamorcha won from Pyuthan by defeating Dr Govinda Raj Pokharel of Nepali Congress. Paudel bagged 47,514 votes against Pokharel’s 31,286 votes.
Likewise, Beena Magar of CPN (Maoist Center) was elected from Kanchanpur constituency-1 by defeating Diwan Singh Bista. Magar secured 38,467 while Bista bagged 19,219 votes.
CPN-UML’s Padma Kumari Aryal won from Syangja constituency-2 defeating Nepali Congress candidate Gopalman Shrestha. Aryal secured 35142 votes while Shrestha secured 31,436.
According to the vote count results, altogether eleven women candidates lost the elections in second positions. Of them, eight were from Nepali Congress and three from the CPN-UML.
Women candidates who came in second positions include Nepali Congress candidates Sita Gurung of Tehrathum, Saraswati Bajimaya in Khotang, Kiran Yadav in Mahottari constituency-2, Mahalaxmi Upadhyaya (Dina) in Makawanpur constituency 2, Ambika Basnet in Kathmandu constituency-3, Champadevi Basnet in Kathmandu constituency 3, Sushila Chaudhari in Dang constituency 1, Arzu Rana in Kailali constituency-5, and CPN-UML candidates Manju Kumari Chaudhari in Udayapur constituency-1 and Bhagawati Chaudhari in Sunsari constituency-3 and Madan Kumari Shah in Kailali constituency-1.
There were a total 146 women candidates contesting for parliament.
* The report was updated according to the final FPTP results.
This material is copyrighted but may be used for any purpose by giving due credit to southasiacheck.org.
- In Public Interest What had been agreed with Dr KC and what is in the bill?
- Fact Check Minister falsely claims credit for Mahendra Highway widening work
- In Public Interest PM’s invitation for river trip to Calcutta premature
- Earthquake Promise Tracker Half of quake-destroyed schools rebuilt
- Fact Check NAC Managing Director Kansakar lies on camera
- Fact Check Nepali Congress was not the first party to demand federalism
In Public InterestWhat had been agreed with Dr KC and what is in the bill? What was in the July 26 agreement between Dr Govinda KC and the government? What is in the Medical E... Read More
- PM’s invitation for river trip to Calcutta premature
- NARC grappling with manpower shortage
- Dr Govinda KC’s demands and achievements
- Rape complaints doubled in six years: Police data
- Pesticides tests of fruits and vegetables, problems galore